Searching for Creative Solutions
Once you have Identifying the real problem and gathered needed Information it is time to search for “original” creative solutions.
- Here are several techniques to help you and your team produce original creative ideas.
- Ideas may come from creativity, a subconscious effort, or innovation, a conscious effort.
- The objective is to break the set patterns of thought that everyone develops (i.e., team’s thinking tends to fall into ruts).
Brainstorming (or Brainwriting) Approach
- Brainstorming versus Brainwriting
- All ideas are encouraged.
- Write down as many ideas as possible
- After a break, combine and improve ideas.
- Delay judgment and evaluation of ideas until end…
- Comments that Reduce Brainstorming to Braindrizzling
|That won’t work||It’s against our policy|
|That’s too radical||We haven’t done it that way before|
|It’s not our job||That’s too expensive|
|We don’t have enough time||That’s not practical|
|That’s to much hassle||We can’t solve this problem|
The Fishbone Diagram
- List the major attributes or properties of a product, object, or idea – The fish bones
- For each attribute, Brainstorm how each of the attributes could be changed.
How can we improve the design of a cell phone?
|Color could be …||Be Any color
Utilize designs such as plaid
Have a personalized design (skinit)
|Material could be …||Metal
Glass (Mac Funamizu)
Wood (NTT Docomo)
Hard rubber (Lux)
|Input device could be …||10-push-button design
Could be lever system
Could use abacus-type system
Could be push buttons arranged in a line
|Make the shape …||Square
Edward de Bono developed the lateral thinking techniques of random stimulation and using other people’s views to generate ideas during brainstorming. Lateral thinking provides new ways to come at a problem and get “unstuck.” We will look at two:
- Forced Relationship Technique
- Different Point of View
Forced Relationship Technique
- Take a fixed thing, such as the product or some idea related to the product
- Force it to take on the attributes of another unrelated thing.
Pro-Tip: Try this Random Noun Generator
Example – Weed Cutter
The weed cutter will be the forced object. Suppose we randomly choose an automobile wheel as the other element. Some of the ideas that may occur based upon the automobile wheel are:
|A weed cutter that rolls.|
|A round weed cutter.|
|A rubber weed cutter.|
|A weed cutter that has spokes.|
|A weed cutter that has brakes.|
Different Point of View
- Imagine yourself in the future ; “What are the characteristics of an ideal solution?” even if not technically feasible today.
- Imagine a similar problem located on a strange planet or in free fall.
- Try to identify with the stone that is to be crushed, or the fruit that is going to be peeled.
- Pretend that common materials or components are not available or that certain exceptional ones are.
- Try to project how nature would do it.
- The methods are endless.
The rain to the wind said,
‘You push and I’ll pelt.’
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged–though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt.